Archive for August, 2013
Jumpstart’s Read for the Record, presented in partnership with the Pearson Foundation, is a campaign that brings together millions of Americans to celebrate literacy by breaking the world record for reading the same book on the same day. This year, October 3 is the official Read for the Record day. (http://www.jstart.org/campaigns/read-record)
When a big new yellow tractor arrives, Otis the friendly little tractor is cast away behind the barn, but when trouble occurs Otis is the only one who can help.
- Activities Loren Long
- Guide includes author information, discussion questions, and extension activities. WebJunction Ohio
- Reading Guide includes themes, vocabulary, and activities. We Give Books
- More links in the Linda’s Links to Literature database
Film makers seem to be using teen/young adult books for scripts more and more.
These are two that will be released in August with some free teaching resources.
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Seventh-grader Percy Jackson has recently discovered that he is the son of Poseidon, making him half human and half god, and along with his a demigod and a satyr friend, must save his beloved Camp Half-Blood from evil forces determined to destroy it.
Movie Release: August 7, 2013
- Discussion Questions Clinton-Macomb Public Library
- Literature Circle Guide includes a summary, author information, discussion questions based on Bloom’s Taxonomy, and activities. Scholastic
- Online Book 4Shared
- 5 More Resources in the Linda’s Links to Literature Database
August 21, 2013 – Movie Release
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.
Movie Release: August 21, 2013
- Book Discussion Guide Multnomah County, OR, Public Library
- Learning Guide includes a summary, themes, quotes, study questions, characters, analysis, facts, and related websites. Shmoop
- Reading Guide includes discussion questions and activities. Simon & Schuster
- 8 More Resources in the Linda’s Links to Literature Database