This wonderful middle-grade novel is narrated by Kenny, 9, about his middle-class black family, the Weird Watsons of Flint, Michigan. When Kenny’s 13-year-old brother, Byron, gets to be too much trouble, they head South to Birmingham to visit Grandma, the one person who can shape him up. And they happen to be in Birmingham when Grandma’s church is blown up. (Publisher’s description)
The Huffington Post has a trailer of the movie.
Prepare your students with the following teaching resources from the Linda’s Links to Literature database.
- Anticipation Guide includes pre-reading questions. KidReach
- Book Discussion Guide includes a summary, discussion questions, and related websites. Multnomah County, OR, Public Library
- Discussion Questions Hennepin County, MN, Public Library
- Reader’s Theater Barbara Tschantz
- Study Guide includes an introduction, worksheets, graphic organizers, activities, and a test. HRW
- Study Guide includes literary elements, vocabulary, and questions for every chapter. Scholastic
- Teacher’s Guide includes activities by chapter and related resources. NYNPA
- Teacher’s Guide includes pre-reading, thematic connections, curriculum connections, vocabulary, and Internet resources. Random House
- Teacher’s Guide includes vocabulary, questions, and activities for each chapter. Gale
- 40+ more teaching resources….